Grain-Free Apple Crisp
This quick and easy apple crisp has chunks of apples and cinnamon with a grain-free streusel-like topping. A comforting dessert that is sure to please.
Gluten Free and Grain Free!
- 6 cups chopped (3/4-inch pieces) peeled Granny Smith apples (6 medium)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups Autumn's GoldTM grain free pancake & baking mix
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted or ghee, melted
- 1 tablespoon milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix Filling ingredients until well coated. Spread evenly in baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix Autumn’s GoldTM mix and brown sugar. With fork, mix in melted butter and milk until crumbly. Stir in pecans.
- Remove foil from dish, and discard. Break topping into small pieces, and sprinkle over top (does not cover all of filling). Bake uncovered 18 to 22 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with small knife or fork.
- Cool at least 20 minutes before serving. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
- The best way to measure baking mix is to first stir the mix a bit before spooning into the dry measuring cup. Fill until heaping, and then sweep the excess off the top with the flat edge of a butter knife.
- Ghee or clarified butter is butter that is slowly melted and simmered. The milk solids are removed and the water evaporates during this process. Ghee is typically stored at room temperature and is semi-solid. For this recipe, measure ghee first, and then melt.
- We like to use Granny Smith apples in this recipe because of their flavor and ability to hold their shape during baking. Partially baking the apples before adding the topping makes sure the apples will be tender when the topping is baked.
- Cooking Grain Free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is grain free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- Cooking Gluten Free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
1 Serving: Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 210); Total Fat 23g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 130mg; Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 26g); Protein 5g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 8%; Iron 6%;
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Fruit, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 4 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 2