Grain-Free Date Bars
The classic date-filled cookie bar gets a grain-free twist with help from Autumn’s GoldTM grain free pancake & baking mix. This easy-to-make cookie bar has a layer of date filling topped with cookie crumble.
Gluten Free and Grain Free!
- 1 bag (8oz) whole pitted dates, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened or ghee, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups Autumn's GoldTM grain free pancake & baking mix
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- In 2-quart saucepan, mix Filling ingredients. Heat to boiling; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is darkened in color and thickened. Pour mixture into small bowl; refrigerate uncovered until ready to use.
- In large bowl, stir softened butter, brown sugar, egg and Autumn’s GoldTM mix until blended. Reserve 1/2 cup cookie mixture for topping; set aside. Press remaining cookie mixture in bottom of pan for base. Bake 17 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread filling evenly over partially baked crust. Break remaining cookie mixture into smaller pieces, and sprinkle over top of filling. Press slightly into filling to flatten.
- Bake 16 to 19 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, at least 3 hours. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Ghee or clarified butter is butter that is slowly melted and simmered. The milk solids are removed, and the water evaporates during this process. Ghee is typically stored at room temperature, which is how it is used in this recipe.
- The best way to measure baking mix is to first stir the mix a bit before spooning into the dry measuring cup. Fill until heaping, and then sweep the excess off the top with the flat edge of a butter knife.
- Dates can be sticky to chop. We like to use kitchen scissors that have been sprayed with cooking spray to make quick work of cutting the dates into smaller pieces.
- Cooking Grain Free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is grain free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- Cooking Gluten Free? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
1 Bar: Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 130); Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 100mg; Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 21g); Protein 4g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 4%;
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 1.5